If your family includes one or more furry members, you certainly do everything to keep them safe since they completely depend on your care. You make sure they stay away from foods they shouldn’t eat and protect them from different hazards.
If your pets frequently visit the area around your garage, you may worry if it’s safe for them to be near the garage door. One of the ways to reduce the risk of injury is to ensure the regular maintenance of the mechanism with the help of a reliable garage door repair provider in El Cajon, CA. Additionally, you can learn more about keeping your pets safe in this area of your home. Keep reading to find out how.
Can a garage door hurt a cat or dog?
Whether your little friend is a feline or canine, the risk of getting hurt by your garage door is very low since its design includes a safety system that works for both humans and animals. The built‐in sensors can detect movement and when they do, the door automatically stops whether it’s going up or down. It will return to motion only when you press the remote button again.
To make sure the sensors and all the supporting mechanisms are working properly, regular maintenance is essential and it’s the only way to prevent any malfunctions or accidents.
However, even with proper maintenance and flawless movement, there are still some risky situations:
- Door with no sensor. Most reversing mechanisms of models designed and produced before the early nineties don’t include a sensor which increases the risk of accident.
- Small pets. While the sensor’s location is close to the bottom, if your dog or cat is tiny, it may happen that it fails to detect them and trap them underneath.
- Pets damage parts of the mechanism. Your pets may find the cables, chains, and springs inviting and a playful pup or a curious cat may try to reach them. This way, they can easily get hurt, but they can also damage the system.
Can a garage door have a pet door?
You can install a pet door, but the garage door must be at least 1 inch thick, or the pet flap won’t function properly or safely. Apart from thickness, the design also plays an important role. If it’s a single slab made of wood or metal, you can easily fit in any type and size for the pet. However, if it’s sectional, then the size of the pet’s entrance can’t exceed the size of an individual panel.
While the pet flap can be useful and may prevent accidents, there are still certain safety precautions you should be aware of:
- Always check the pet door before opening your garage. You don’t want to risk starting the mechanism while your dog or cat is halfway through.
- The pet may become a bit too comfortable around moving machines and cars which can later result in accidents with cars on the street or potentially hazardous household appliances.
What companies provide reliable garage door repair in El Cajon, CA?
Whether you have a problem with your door or you’d like to schedule regular maintenance, RockStar Garage Door Services is the squad you need. With our team of experienced, skilled, and dedicated technicians, we’ll ensure your door always operates seamlessly. Whether day or night, our emergency team is available 24/7 to tackle any challenge you might encounter.
We serve most of the San Diego neighborhoods and boast competitive and transparent pricing. Give us a call now and find out why we’re the best!